5 tips to make it through the holidays without weight gain:
The Holidays are here and who wants to gain 10 pounds? Wait, I don’t see any hands. Yet, that is the average weight gain over the holidays. I don’t think anyone sets out to accomplish this but sometimes stuff happens.
Having coached people the last 6 years I’ve seen what works and what doesn’t. So today I’m sharing with you my Top 5 tips to to make it through the holidays WITHOUT weight gain.
1. Chose one day each week to enjoy a treat. If you know you have a Christmas party on Friday, eat healthy the rest of the week and allow yourself to enjoy something you wouldn’t normally have that day.
2. Get your workouts in. Even if you only have 10 minutes a day, doing something towards your goals is better than doing nothing. I don’t know about you but I tend to make healthier choices when I get my workouts in.
3. If you’re heading out to meet some friends at a restaurant do your research ahead of time. Know what you’re going to get BEFORE going and then stick to it! Almost every place offers salads on their menu so if you can’t find anything that helps toward you goals, you can always use that as a fall back. (Extra tip!! Get your salad dressing on the side and dip your fork into it before getting salad on it. You’ll get the flavor without the added calories from too much salad dressing. 🏻)
4. Make it a point to drink a lot of water throughout the day. This helps your body work at its optimal levels and release the toxins. Drink a big glass at least 10 minutes before eating (this helps to get the acid working in your stomach) and then only take small sips while you’re eating. Drinking too much water while eating can dilute the acid of the stomach making it harder to digest your food.
5. Mentally prepare yourself for the next few weeks. Stress causes your cortisol levels to rise creating a snowball effect on your body. It increases inflammation and weight gain and lowers your immune function. Remember to take time to slow down and enjoy the Christmas Spirit. Find relaxing music that makes you happy. I LOVE The Piano Guys Christmas music so I listen to it often.
I’m sure I’ll be adding to this list but for now here’s my Top 5 tips to Make it Through the Holidays Without Weight Gain.
Merry Christmas 🎄🎄🎄